Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"Don't leave me this way,"
Was the sound that came out of my mother's car.
I didn't know she listened to disco, there's a lot I don't know about that woman.
"Only your good lovin' can set me free."
When she was my age, she wore what they called, "hot pants."
She sucks her teeth when she sees me in them. Says I'm too bottom heavy for them.
Everyone's a critic.

Don't leave me this way.
I'm going to try not to, but i've got things to do and other foxy mama's to find.
I'm not the "Brandy" she thinks i am. Nothing i've done suggests that i'm a waiter.
I wait for no one but her.
She wore a halter top. If she wasn't my mother and if i wasn't a blazing feminist,
I'd call her a slut.

"Don't leave me this way,"
Was the sound that come out of my mother's car.
I like some disco, only the kind that makes you forget your troubles. All of it.
"I can't exist, I'll surely miss your tender kiss."
She had this ass kicking afro that was two feet in diameter.
When I think I should have one, she rolls her eyes and asks me not to be too militant.
She's not that docile

Don't leave me this way,
I'm going to try not to, but i've got foxy mama's to do.
I'm not the kind of legacy she fears. Nothing i've done suggests that i'm reliable.
I've held out for no one but her.
She loved a man too much. If she wasn't my mother and if i wasn't her daughter,
I'd call her a fool.

No comments: